Terms of Reference – Policy and Advocacy Consultant
Details of work required: Transform Health is looking for a part-time (50%/10 days per month) Policy and Advocacy consultant to support Transform Health’s policy and influencing work, with a particular focus on policy writing and positioning issues, developing advocacy tools, identifying influencing opportunities, and strengthening national influencing approaches. The initial contract will be for six months with the possibility of extension.
Transform Health’s vision is for Universal Health Coverage to be achieved by 2030 by harnessing digital technology and the use of data, in line with our core principles of equity, empowerment, rights, inclusion and partnerships. Towards this goal, we advocate, campaign for, and collaborate with partners for the equitable, inclusive and sustainable digital transformation of health systems to achieve health for all in the digital age, in line with our core principles of equity, empowerment, rights, inclusion and partnerships. We are committed to promoting youth and women’s participation and leadership and to promoting the perspectives, concerns and needs of marginalised groups so that everyone can benefit from the digital transformation of health systems.
Transform Health is looking to recruit a consultant with strong policy analysis, advocacy and writing skills to support the coalition’s policy and influencing work, particularly on key policy areas (eg, digital health for UHC, health data governance and digital health investment), around decision-making moments and processes, as well as to strengthen national influencing approaches.
Scope of work
The Consultant will work closely with Transform Health’s Policy Lead and Operations Lead to support the delivery of Transform Health’s policy and influencing work, with a particular focus on policy writing and positioning issues, developing advocacy tools, identifying influencing opportunities, and strengthening national influencing approaches. Approximately 50% of the role would be focused on global advocacy work and 50% supporting national advocacy work. Specific tasks will include (but are not limited to):
- Write articles, blogs, statements, talking points, briefs and other policy related documents to position our issues and support engagement around key meetings.
- Contribute to and lead the development of policy positions, messaging and asks to position our issues.
- Develop advocacy tools and other materials necessary to support the coalition and its partners to engage key audiences and influence national, regional and global agendas.
- Identify influencing opportunities to advance our advocacy agendas and support with that engagement.
- Support advocacy around key influencing moments and processes, to help position Transform Health and the coalition’s policy priorities.
- Review national strategies and plans to help identify advocacy opportunities and provide guidance to strengthen influencing, in particular those within our 6 national coalition countries.
- Review research generated by Transform Health national coalitions and highlight key findings and evidence to inform Transform Health’s and the national coalition’s messaging and policy positioning on key issues.
- Support thought leadership for the coalition, particularly on health data governance, digital health investment, and harnessing digital health for UHC.
- Specific deliverables will be agreed between the Consultant and the Executive Director (under the guidance of the Policy Lead and Operations Lead).
- Deadline to submit applications: 14 January 2024 (23:59 CET)
- Consultant selected: 23 January
- Consultancy start date: ~1 February
Profile and experience
- Experience in a policy and/or advocacy role, including experience developing and delivering advocacy strategies and activities, at both global and national levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrable experience writing statements, blogs, briefs and reports..
- Experience developing policy positions and conveying policy and advocacy messages effectively to a range of audiences in a clear, accessible and influential way.
- Experience analysing policy and policy developments, making relevant recommendations, and designing and implementing policy and influencing actions in response.
- Good understanding of the policy landscape and discussions (both at global and national levels) around the digital transformation of health systems, health data governance, and UHC, including the role of different stakeholders (e.g. governments, donors, development partners, private sector).
- Proven track record of building relationships and influencing external stakeholders and agendas.
- Experience working in a coalition and/or partnering with organisations and stakeholders to deliver joint objectives and plans.
- Highly organised with the ability to plan effectively, balance competing priorities, meet challenging deadlines and be flexible to change.
- Experience leveraging social media and other communications tactics to support advocacy.
- Fluency in English and proficiency in one or more other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Swahili) preferred.
- We encourage candidates in low & middle income countries to apply.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 CET on 14 January:
- Your CV and cover letter outlining your experience relevant to this consultancy.
- Two writing samples (relevant to this role).
- Your proposed daily rate.
This is a part-time consultancy position (50%/10 days per month). The successful candidate will be offered a six-month contract with the possibility of extension.
Remuneration will be based on experience.